Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thought Starters For Goal Setting

The end of the year is approaching rapidly and it's time to start thinking about setting goals for 2009. Planning for the year ahead and identifying your goals can be a daunting task. You probably know you should set SMART goals -- Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time based. But how do you get started? If you are setting business goals, ask yourself the following questions to gain clarity:
  • Who are my customers?
  • What value do I provide for my customers?
  • How do I (can I) measure that value?
  • Am I providing the right services/products to the right people?
  • How can I improve my product/service?
  • Am I providing self-service where I should be providing full-service?
  • Am I providing full-service where I should be providing self-service?
  • What should I be doing a little more of?
  • What should I be doing a little less of?
  • What can I do that will have the greatest positive impact?

These questions are meant to invoke thought and generate ideas. They may generate additional questions. Use them to guide a brainstorming session with a free flow of ideas. Then clarify those ideas and formulate your SMART goals.

While these questions are geared towards business goals, they can be modified slightly to help you develop personal goals.

I believe you will achieve more and go farther if you look at goal setting as a creative process instead of a logical process. Look at it as an opportunity to break out of what you have always done and focus on doing the right things (being effective, not just efficient).

Scott
your guide to opportunities marketing

JG8D69D

No comments: